Who to contact if you need urgent support in a crisis
• Call 999
• Go to your nearest Accident and Emergency department (A&E).
• NHS 111 has replaced NHS Direct. You can call 111 when you need medical help but it’s not a 999 emergency.
For non-emergency situations:
• Visit your GP
• Visit NHS Choices via http://www.nhs.uk/
Mental health helplines
Whether you're concerned about yourself or a loved one, these helplines can offer expert advice.
Charity providing support if you've been diagnosed with an anxiety condition.
• Phone: 08444 775 774 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-5.30pm) • Website: www.anxietyuk.org.uk
A charity helping people living with manic depression or bipolar disorder.
• Website: www.bipolaruk.org.uk
CALM is the Campaign Against Living Miserably, for men aged 15-35.
• Website: www.thecalmzone.net
Charity for sufferers of depression. Has a network of self-help groups.
• Website: www.depressionalliance.org
Mental Health Foundation
Provides information and support for anyone with mental health problems or learning disabilities.
• Website: www.mentalhealth.org.uk
Promotes the views and needs of people with mental health problems.
• Phone: 0300 123 3393 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm)
• Website: www.mind.org.uk
Support for people with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Includes information on treatment and online resources.
• Phone: 0845 390 6232 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-5pm)
• Website: www.ocdaction.org.uk
A charity run by people with OCD, for people with OCD. Includes facts, news and treatments.
• Phone: 0845 120 3778 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm)
• Website: www.ocduk.org
Voluntary charity offering support for sufferers of panic attacks and OCD. Offers a course to help overcome your phobia/OCD. Includes a helpline.
• Phone: 0844 967 4848 (daily, 10am-10pm)
• Website: www.nopanic.org.uk
Rethink Mental Illness
Support and advice for people living with mental illness.
• Phone: 0300 5000 927 (Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm)
• Website: www.rethink.org
Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.
Phone: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)
• Website: www.samaritans.org.uk
Charity offering support and carrying out research into mental illness.
Phone: 0845 767 8000 (daily, 6-11pm)
• SANEmail email: email@example.com
• Website: www.sane.org.uk
Information on child and adolescent mental health. Services for parents and professionals.
• Phone: Parents' helpline 0808 802 5544 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-4pm)
• Website: www.youngminds.org.uk
Maytree - Sanctuary for the Suicidal
• Website: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 020 7263 7070
Young suicide prevention society
• Phone: HOPElineUK 0800 068 4141 (Mon-Fri,10am-5pm & 7-10pm. Weekends 2-5pm)
• Website: www.papyrus-uk.org